Faking replying to a thread

Sometimes I delete all my messages and later look at something on
lists.debian.org and want to issue a reply.  I use mutt, so I can edit
the headers at will.

Is it sufficient to use the exact same subject as the original with a
"RE: " prepended, and insert the line "References: <MessageID>" after
the "To" line and before the "Subject" line?  Do I need to include all
the "References" the Message I'm replying to References?  Does the new
reference go on the beginning or the end?

I want to to thread correctly in people's mua's and on l.d.o.