Re: XF86Setup Command how to execute ?

* wasaby wasaby <watssaby@yahoo.co.jp> [050112 05:01]:

> #Sorry to have sent you e-mail straight back to you
> #Alex.

No problem ;)

> I seem to have understood that I need
> xserver-svga_3.3.***.deb

Could you please explain me, why you think so?  The xserver-svga
packages use an old version of the xserver which is obsolete (even in
Debian 3.0 "woody").  They are obselete today, and where replaced by
xserver-xfree86 (which you allready have installed).

xserver-svga is XFree86 3.3.6, xserver-xfree86 is XFree86 4.0.  The only
reason the old packages still exist is, that the XFree86 project dropped
some graphic chips with the 4.0 release (e.g. for some old notebooks).
So it is possible, that you need the old driver, but I it's quite
unlikely, since I thought you allready have a working X, and you just
want to set a higher resolution.

So, could you please tell me, what goes wrong when you try to run
"dpkg-reconfigure xserver-xfree86" as root, what graphics card you have
(if you don't know run lspci and look for the line mentioning a vga
controller).

> and I say
> apt-get install xserver-svga_3.3.**.deb

No.  As I mentioned I don't think that you need that package, and second
if you install a package with apt-get you just need the name of the
package (here: xserver-svg), not the entire filename.

Yours sincerely,
  Alexander