Need to run alsaconf every boot for sound to work in KDE apps

I’m running Debian Sarge with the 2.6.8 kernel on a PC.  Sound is provided by an onboard Realtek ALC650 chip.

It’s fine, apart from the fact that when KDE starts, I get a /dev/dsp not found error.  Sound doesn’t work.  If I end the KDE session, run alsaconf and restart KDE, everything is fine.  Problem is that if I reboot the machine, I have to go through the same process again.

KDE is set to use ALSA for sound in the control panel, although it doesn’t actually seem to matter if I set it to auto-detect – same behaviour.

Any suggestions where to start, please?

Phil

This email has been sent from KPMG LLP, a UK limited liability partnership, or from one of the companies within its control (which include KPMG Audit Plc , KPMG United Kingdom Plc and KPMG UK Limited). The information in this email is confidential and may be legally privileged. It is intended solely for the addressee. Access to this email by anyone else is unauthorised. If you are not the intended recipient, any disclosure, copying, distribution or any action taken or omitted to be taken in reliance on it, is prohibited and may be unlawful. When addressed to our clients any opinions or advice contained in this email are subject to the terms and conditions expressed in the governing KPMG client engagement letter.