Re: Sorry, I meant: HowTo convert .wav to .mp3

On Tue, Jan 11, 2005 at 01:25:44PM -0500, William Ballard wrote:
> On Tue, Jan 11, 2005 at 07:20:44PM +0100, Vegard Lundby Rekaa wrote:
> > I have used cdparanoia to rip a cd, and now I have several .wav files I
> > wat to convert to .mp3.
> >
> > How do I do it?
>
> I use abcde which uses other tools.

I also use that. I indeed suggest installing abcde. It depends on or
recommends or suggests various sound programs that are a good idea to
install. After that basically just run abcde and all will be fine,
though you probably want to adjust /etc/abcde.conf.

But the basic answer: package toolame converts wav to mp2, which is
roughly the same as mp3. Package lame can convert wav to real mp3, but
is in the non-free section. Due to patents any mp3 encoder (like lame)
will probably never enter the free section.

I use toolame. Let me add that you can also make Ogg Vorbis files with
package vorbis-tools. Various people (including me) think it is better
than mp3. At least it is free (as in free speech).

Public GnuPG key: keyserver.net ID 0x1735C5C2
"Let your advance worrying become advance thinking and planning."
 - Winston Churchill