Re: Need to run alsaconf every boot for sound to work in KDE apps

Hello

Striplin, Phil (<phil.striplin@kpmg.co.uk>) wrote:

> I'm running Debian Sarge with the 2.6.8 kernel on a PC.  Sound is
> provided by an onboard Realtek ALC650 chip.
>
> It's fine, apart from the fact that when KDE starts, I get a /dev/dsp
> not found error.  Sound doesn't work.  If I end the KDE session, run
> alsaconf and restart KDE, everything is fine.  Problem is that if I
> reboot the machine, I have to go through the same process again.
>
> KDE is set to use ALSA for sound in the control panel, although it
> doesn't actually seem to matter if I set it to auto-detect - same
> behaviour.

First guess: you need to remove /etc/modprobe.conf
Make sure alsaconf generated /etc/modprobe.d/sound with the necessary
alias entries. Make sure /etc/modprobe.conf is not there, because it
is, /etc/modprobe.d/* will be ignored.

best regards
 Andreas Janssen

PGP-Key-ID: 0xDC801674 ICQ #17079270