Re: Not enough disk space to update

On Tue, 11 Jan 2005 6:10 pm, msck9@mizzou.edu wrote:
> Dear all,
>  I want to update the system. I am using "synaptic package manager", and
>  choosing smart update. I need 600Mb space to download all the files,
>  but I don't have so much space under "/". I think all the download
>  files will be in the /var/cache/apt/archives which is under "/". I have
>  plenty of space under other partition. Is it possible that I can
>  download the files to other place? Or maybe you can give me some other
>  good choice to update the system.
If you have not already done so, you could try running 'apt-get clean'. This
will delete any old package files under /var/cache/apt/archives, which may
clear enough space to do the upgrade. You could also delete files under /tmp
and /var/tmp (assuming they are on the same partition) to make more free
space.

If these methods don't free up enough space, another option would be to
install the new packages in smaller groups, running 'apt-get clean' between
each group.

You could also try mounting an empty partition at /var/cache/apt/archives or
replacing it with a symbolic link to an empty directory on another partition.

Andrew Walbran