Re: Not enough disk space to update

Hello Ming,

On Mon, 2005-01-10 at 23:10 -0600, msck9@mizzou.edu wrote:
>  plenty of space under other partition. Is it possible that I can
>  download the files to other place? Or maybe you can give me some other
>  good choice to update the system.

There's a directive that you can pass to apt-get to use a different
location for the archives. The directive is: Dir::Cache::Archives

If you just want to have the packages temporarily then I would suggest
you use this option. Otherwise, follow the other replies in this thread.
Remember, you'll 've to repeat this step every time you run Synaptic or
apt-get. :)

In case of Synaptic: Go to Preferences -> Set Internal Option... In the
Variable field enter: 'Dir::Cache::Archives' (without the quotes of
course :) and in the Value field give the path to the location where you
want the packages to be downloaded and used. There's a small thing that
has to be taken care of. You should have a directory called "partial"
inside the new path. Suppose, you want to have the packages downloaded
in /home/test/, then you need to create a directory 'partial'
inside /home/test. (You can however change this option too... :) Now you
are all set to start your upgrade. :)

In case of apt-get: The command line will be:
  apt-get install <package_name> -o Dir::Cache::Archives=/path/to/repos

That's it. Hope this helps. :)

Srinidhi.