Re: CD burner not working with kernel 2.6

Odd that your ls does not show any hdc or cdrom.  Do you have udev
installed?  if so you should be looking for /.dev/hdc (I believe that
right but do not have udev installed here.

/.dev/hdc exists, but

------
$ sudo hexdump /.dev/hda
hexdump: /.dev/hda: No such device or address

robertsa@thecheat /.dev $ sudo hexdump /.dev/hdb
hexdump: /.dev/hdb: No such device or address

robertsa@thecheat /.dev $ sudo hexdump /.dev/hdc
hexdump: /.dev/hdc: No such device or address

robertsa@thecheat /.dev $ sudo hexdump /.dev/hdd
hexdump: /.dev/hdd: No such device or address
-----

It doesn't work. See other posts with the dmesg, where it explicitly says
the device is not supported.

Now I am more comfused.  Where or what did you try these on, many
kernel compiles or one at a time in /etc/modules or ??

I suggest you start with the manual page, then you might go to the
archives for the past two months and read about all the
problems/solutions to the "my burner doesn't work" questions.
I've been going through the docs and figured out what the problem is. I am
preparing a post with the information now.