Re: dist-upgrade changed my default wm

On Mon, 10 Jan 2005 19:17:12 +0100 (CET), Vegard Lundby Rekaa
<vegardlr@student.matnat.uio.no> wrote:
> After I runned 'apt-get -u dist-upgrade' default wm changed from gnome to
> xfce. I googled for the problem, but no previos thread helped me...
> Got this output from my system:

Actually, gnome is the desktop environment and can work with a range
of window managers. I think you probably used metacity before, so you
can just select that one through the alternative system.

> hjem: # update-alternatives --config x-window-manager
>
> There are 4 alternatives which provide `x-window-manager'.
>
>   Selection    Alternative
>       1        /usr/bin/metacity
>       2        /usr/bin/xfwm4
>       3        /usr/bin/fluxbox
> *+    4        /usr/bin/gnome-wm
>
> Press enter to keep the default[*], or type selection number:
> hjem: #

On my system (gnome-session-2.8.1-5) gnome-wm is actually not listed
among the x-window-manager alternatives.

But looking at the file, it reads the default window manager from the gconf key
/desktop/gnome/applications/window_manager/default
and if that key does not contain a valid window manager, it picks the
window manager from the alternatives system.

I think gnome-wm is supposed to be called by gnome-session on startup.
So I'm pretty sure you can just select metacity.

Otherwise ask on the debian gtk gnome list.

 -Olaf