Firefox won't Load

When I run firefox in Xfree86, I see this output:

(firefox-bin:25177): Gdk-WARNING **: locale not supported by Xlib

(firefox-bin:25177): Gdk-WARNING **: can not set locale modifier

Then Firefox opens, briefly, in a 1" by 1" window.  If I'm fast enough I can maximise the program to see that it is only
a frame, with no widgets.  Then it closes.

I tried doing this like:
LC_ALL=C & firefox &
and
LANG=C; firefox &

Neither works.

I also ran:
dpkg-reconfigure locales
and set it to en_CA ISO-8859-1

I searched google, found a lot of solutions that did not work for me.  An interesting one related to using MS True Type
fonts with said program.  So I disabled the loading of freetype.  Still Firefox returns the same error.

Interestingly Xchat gets the same error, but continues to run normally thereafter.

Any help would be appreciated.

Adrian