Re: APIC error on CPU0: 00(40) APIC error on CPU0: 40(40)

In message <3kAQt-1ms-1@gated-at.bofh.it>, Mitchell Laks <mlaks@verizon.net> writes
Hi,

I just set up a new server. It has an amd64 (3000+) chip on a asus K8V-X
motherboard. I installed sarge with the 2.6.8-1-386 kernel

I set up a software raid 5 and noticed that as soon as I began resync of the
raid i get errors filling the dmesg log:

APIC error on CPU0: 00(40)
APIC error on CPU0: 40(40)
APIC error on CPU0: 40(40)
APIC error on CPU0: 40(40)
... (... infinity of the last one)

I did
dmesg -n 1
to get some peace and quiet on the screen for the 2 day resync of the raid
and then when i rebooted the machine and started and mounted the raid and
began to exercise it ( cp -a a ton of stuff to the raid) the errors began
again.

I googled and saw a reference to this issue on the gentoo list with late 2.6.9
kernels and saw the solution they posted of adding the boot option
"noapic". So I figured why not?

So i rebooted with noapic, and indeed the APIC errors vanished.
I notice a new error message in dmesg though

spurious 8259A interrupt: IRQ7.

I post this here to ask if anyone knows what is going on here and can clarify
the problems.

There is an Asrock (budget Asus) motherboard with a SiS chipset which has this problem, which is fixed by a BIOS upgrade. This may also be your solution.

IRQ7 on my system is the parallel port, and I think this is a known and unconnected minor bug. I think it is considered harmless.
--
Joe