Re: KDE messed up after dist-upgrade

Hmm, nothing taht you said happened to me after I did a dist-upgrade today.
Maybe you can forcefully dpkg -i **.deb

Alexandru Cabuz wrote:
Hello,

I did my daily apt-get upgrade a couple of days ago, and I noticed there were a whole bunch of packages being held, most of them kde. Trying a couple of them by hand revealed they were in conflict with other packages that needed to be removed and whatnot. So I did a dist-upgrade.

Now I got kde 3.3.1 which is great, but a bunch of stuff doesn't work anymore. KDE configuration center doesn't work, and the kaddressbook opens but it doesn't open my regular addressbook file even though it is still in the same place it's always been, and has not changed.

Also kmail is misbehaving (I can still send emails such as this one though)

I am afraid of what might happen if/when I reboot.

My question is: how can I go back to the KDE 3.2.3 or whatever that I had before and that _worked_?

I have a complete list of the packages that got updated during the infamous dist-upgrade. I copied and pasted part of the output of apt into a file.

What is interesting is that all these packages that seem to be bad, broken or at least buggy, do not have this weird behavior in AMD64 sid unofficial on alioth (I run that on my home computer ). In fact they work real nice. So somewhere between sid and testing they acquired a bunch of bugs...? Or maybe it's just that the unfinished AMD64 sid port is more stable than the about-to-be-officialy-released-as-stable sarge???

What's going on here? Has the decision been made to keep sarge in testing forever? Why did the developers feel the absolute need to have KDE 3.3.1 in the next stable release? Cos it looks like it's gonna be a while before 3.3.1 is going to be anywhere close to stable grade...

Alex.