Re: Kernel installation woes on Athlon 1100: "hda: lost interrupt".

In message <3jXmg-11b-5@gated-at.bofh.it>, Adam Funk <a24061@yahoo.com> writes
On Thursday 06 January 2005 21:20, Joe wrote:

Is it a "defect" that requires the noapic option?

I think so. I don't believe a mere absence of a feature should stop a
kernel booting, particularly a Knoppix one. I think it must be a
hardware bug.

In fact a quick Google on 'k7s8x noapic bios' suggests that upgrading
to version 2.30 of the BIOS will fix it. I'm still not sure I'll
bother, I had a bad experience flashing a BIOS a few years ago.

It sounds dodgy to me too.  Am I losing out on anything by just using
"noapic"?

Presumably a bit of speed. It's about interrupt sharing, and I would suppose it's important on systems with high levels of I/O. I'm not too bothered about fixing it. Have a look on Google, Microsoft have a fair bit to say about APIC.
--
Joe