Re: kernel 2.6.9.2-k7 and ne2k-pci

On Thu, 06 Jan 2005 22:39:23 -0500, Harland Christofferson
<debian-user@zerocrossings.com> wrote:
> *snip*
> >>

> >I don't know how did you ended having three entries of the "natsemi"
> >modules, maybe you have some program to help managing modules. Anyway,
> >do you really have two NIC, the "natsemi" and the "ne2k-pci"?
>
> I am not sure how I have all of these entries either. I deleted all
> of the natsemi and pci-scan entries.
>

> >Some modules listed above don't exist on a 2.6.9 kernel, like the
> >"usb-uhci" and "pci-scan". I didn't asked cause it should be a
> >dependency of the 2.6.x kernels, but did you have the
> >"module-init-tools" installed?
> >
> >Try to reconfigure "hotplug", with something like "dpkg-reconfigure
> >-plow hotplug", as it should ask about and how enabling your NIC, and
> >modify your /etc/network/interfaces accordingly...
>
> It did and I used the /etc/network/interfaces file as it was w/ my
> 2.4 kernel. I still have to load the ne2k-pci module, lsmod still
> shows the natsemi module, I still have to ipconfig eth0 and I have
> to add the route to the gateway.
>
> I have also done dpkg-reconfigure -plow hotplug and reconfigured
> to read all interfaces from my /etc/network/interfaces file.
>
> I don't understand how natsemi continues to be loaded as shown by
> lsmod ... or if that is the crux of my problem.

Ok, look in the syslog if the "natsemi" module is loaded by "hotplug",
if yes put it in the /etc/hotplug/blacklist. You should find in the
log why the "ne2k-pci" isn't loaded too.

To include the messages at boot in the syslog, change the
/etc/default/bootlogd file.

Andrea