Re: kernel 2.6.9.2-k7 and ne2k-pci

On Thu, 06 Jan 2005 08:46:41 -0500, Harland Christofferson
<debian-user@zerocrossings.com> wrote:
> At Thursday, 6 January 2005, Andrea Vettorello <andrea.vettorello@gmail.
> com> wrote:
> *snip*

> interface

> and still

> >> I don't have it but i did put the ne2k-pci module in /etc/modules
> >> .. it is still not loaded at boot.
> >>

> >Have you installed the "hotplug" package?
> >
> >Can you paste the "/etc/modules" file?
> >
> >Andrea
> >

> Andrea,
>
> I have installed hotplug and reboot at least once since installing.
>
> $> cat /etc/modules
> # /etc/modules: kernel modules to load at boot time.
> #
> # This file should contain the names of kernel modules that are
> # to be loaded at boot time, one per line.  Comments begin with
> # a "#", and everything on the line after them are ignored.
>
> usb-uhci
> input
> usbkbd
> keybdev
> raid1
> natsemi
> nfsd
> smbfs
> natsemi
> pci-scan
> natsemi
> ne2k-pci
>
> I edited the file and added ne2k-pci myself. All other modules listed
> were already in the file. I don't know why natsemi is listed more
> than once.

I don't know how did you ended having three entries of the "natsemi"
modules, maybe you have some program to help managing modules. Anyway,
do you really have two NIC, the "natsemi" and the "ne2k-pci"?

Some modules listed above don't exist on a 2.6.9 kernel, like the
"usb-uhci" and "pci-scan". I didn't asked cause it should be a
dependency of the 2.6.x kernels, but did you have the
"module-init-tools" installed?

Try to reconfigure "hotplug", with something like "dpkg-reconfigure
-plow hotplug", as it should ask about and how enabling your NIC, and
modify your /etc/network/interfaces accordingly...

Andrea