postgresql

Hi, Please let me know if anyone has come across this one

I upgraded my web machine from woody-sparc to serge-sparc. (running on an ultra 5)

Postgresql now will not start this is the error I get

./postgresql start

Starting PostgreSQL database server: postmaster(FAILED)

ERROR: pg_controldata: could not open file "/var/lib/postgres/data/global/pg_control" for reading: No such file or directory

ERROR: PostgreSQL postmaster did not start because of an unknown reason.

PostgreSQL's init script (/etc/init.d/postgresql) attempted

to start the postmaster, however, this failed because of an unknown

reason.

This should not happen and is a serious problem. Please examine the

situation (please take a look at the log files). If you know the

reason why it failed and, then please file a bug report to Debian

(unless the reason is something obvious like a full disk).

Debian PostgreSQL

The logs show the following However there is no PID file in that folder.

cat /var/log/postgres.log

Lock file "/var/lib/postgres/data/postmaster.pid" already exists.

Is another postmaster (pid 300) running in "/var/lib/postgres/data"?

Found a pre-existing shared memory block (ID 0) still in use.

If you're sure there are no old backends still running,

remove the shared memory block with ipcrm(1), or just

delete "/var/lib/postgres/data/postmaster.pid".

Found a pre-existing shared memory block (ID 0) still in use.

If you're sure there are no old backends still running,

remove the shared memory block with ipcrm(1), or just

delete "/var/lib/postgres/data/postmaster.pid".

Found a pre-existing shared memory block (ID 0) still in use.

If you're sure there are no old backends still running,

remove the shared memory block with ipcrm(1), or just

delete "/var/lib/postgres/data/postmaster.pid".

thanks for your help

Steve