Re: postgresql

On Thu, 2005-01-06 at 10:30 -0500, Steve Roberts wrote:
> I upgraded my web machine from woody-sparc to serge-sparc. (running on
> an ultra 5)

> Postgresql now will not start this is the error I get

> ERROR: pg_controldata: could not open file
> "/var/lib/postgres/data/global/pg_control" for reading: No such file
> or directory

Is that a true message?  Or is it a permissions problem? Or should
PostgreSQL be looking in some other directory?

What happened to the old data during the upgrade?  Woody has Pg 7.2.1;
sarge has 7.4.6.  The data formats are not compatible, so the data have
to be dumped and reloaded.  This can be attempted automatically, but
whether it is or not depends on a debconf setting.

If an upgrade was attempted, the old data will probably be
in /var/lib/postgres/data.save and /var/lib/postgres/data/PG.VERSION
should contain 7.4.  If there was no upgrade, PG.VERSION will contain
7.2 and global/pg_control may not exist - I've a feeling that it is
elsewhere in 7.2

> Found a pre-existing shared memory block (ID 0) still in use.
> If you're sure there are no old backends still running,
> remove the shared memory block with ipcrm(1), or just
> delete "/var/lib/postgres/data/postmaster.pid".

If you run ipcs -m (as root) do you see any blocks owned by postgres?

--
Oliver Elphick <olly@lfix.co.uk>