Re: installing on a partition

Ivan Glushkov wrote:

messmate wrote:

On Thu, 6 Jan 2005 09:39:27 +0100
Jochen Schulz <kannstmichma@gmx.net> wrote:
Just use the Windows installer for creating an NTFS or FAT partition
and leave the rest of the disk empty. When you're finished, use the
Debian installer to partition the rest. You may want to have a 'shared'
partition, on which Windows *and* Linux can write (mp3s, movies...).
The best way to do this is to create a large FAT partition because
Linux has no (free) NTFS write support. You can do that at install time
and select a mount point for it (eg "/data").

I like cfdisk better than the new installer's partioning routine, but that's for me. For a neophyte not understanding what a partition is, the new installer routine os probably better. Perhaps I should file a wishlist bug to have cfdisk as an "advanced" option.

I've installed win98 on a vfat partition (first of cource) and after
that ( 1 year later) i've installed win200 + professionnal on the same
partition !
So, win200 is a ntfs filesystem, do it ?
I can write/read without any problem to win.

IIRC, Win2K can install on top of an NTFS or FAT32 partition. Since this was an upgrade, unless you specifically told W2K to convert the partition, it's still FAT32.

How do you do that? I have tried a lot of thinks, but I never saw sombody writing from Linux to ntfs... Some program, or just options in fstab that I have missed in man page?

Newer kernels have the ability to write to NTFS, but it's still experimental, and dangerous. Don't use the built-in capabilities to write to NTFS unless you don't mind risking your data.

BTW, just a swipe at Microsoft - writing to NTFS is not a problem because of the inability of Linux developers; it's a problem because Microsoft intentionally keeps the needed specs proprietary. The Linux developers have done very good at reverse-engineering the scheme, but haven't gotten all the details down pat, yet. Not to mention that they quietly changed the specs of NTFS somewhere about SP3 for Win2K which made it a totally different format.
<sarcasm_on>
Thanks once again, Microsoft, a true friend to the computing community!
</sarcasm_off>

--
Kent