Colorized ls problem

The default setup seems to alias ls to ls --color.  When this is run
in an emacs shell window (on a character cell terminal in my test;
though I think it does the same thing under X), the output comes out
colorized -- even though the terminal type is set to DUMB there, and
DUMB isn't on the list of colorizable terminals built into dircolors,
and in fact LS_COLOR is set to null.

It seems to me that, if running dircolors in a shell with TERM set to
be *not* one of the colorizable terminal types, the LS_COLOR settings
resulting should actually stop ls from colorizing!

I'm running ls and dircolors from fileutils 4.1, current woody
package.

Am I overlooking something?  I can see ways to hack around it; for
example the ~/.emacs_bash file is sourced when a shell window is
opened in emacs, and that could muck around with the alias on ls to
make this problem go away.  But I'd also like to see it fixed at the
source.  And the other problem there is that /usr/doc/fileutils and
the info pages don't seem to give me any clue where to report bugs
to.
--
David Dyer-Bennet, <mailto:dd-b@dd-b.net>, <http://www.dd-b.net/dd-b/>