Re: Sarge

Thanks Kent for your kind reply. I'll try to install sarge.

Apologize for my ignorant offense to the list.

Peace.

YH

Kent West wrote:

YH wrote:

Hi,

Is sarge stable to install?

Depends on your criteria. For personal workstation use, I find even Sid to be stable enough for my needs, and that way I get all the newest goodies.

If I were installing a non-critical server, I'd probably go with Stable. For a critical server, I'd stick with Woody for now.

I want to use 2.6 kernel, either I can upgrade kernel from woody or re-install completely from Sarge, which one is better?

If you're only wanting to upgrade your kernel, and the 2.6 series is not in the Woody repositories (implied from your post, but I haven't checked lately), and you have network access, you can add the Stable lines into your /etc/apt/sources.list file and then do:

apt-get update
apt-cache search kernel-image-2.6
apt-get install [whatever 2.6 kernel you need/want that's now available]

Once you have a working machine with the new kernel, if you then want to upgrade the entire system to Stable, follow up with:

apt-get dist-upgrade

No need to do a re-install. I personally would go the other direction. I'd upgrade my system first (with the dist-upgrade), then upgrade my kernel. But that's just me.

Thanks and please CC my email address.

YH