usb problem: usb system refuses to recognize hardware

Hello,

I have a problem. Up to now, I have user digikam to copy pictures from a ptp
compliant camera to my HD. Somehow, suddenly the usb system in this computer
won't properly function anymore. All I have done is a dist-upgrade with
target Sarge recently, this is a system that largely runned Sarge with some
bits of stable.

[00:32] root@dionysos:/var/log# lsusb
Bus 001 Device 001: ID 0000:0000

That is the root hub I suppose, but the stupid thing is, I can mount whatever
usb device I want (I also have a bad old unused scanner), lsusb still only
shows that one device.

Can someone please give me a hint, I don't know where to start :-(  . I have
no conflicts in my apt database, no unconfigured packages, no unsatisfied
dependencies. The kernel is selfcompiled, and has remained the same for some
time (2 september as you can see:).

[00:36] root@dionysos:/var/log# uname -a
Linux dionysos 2.4.26 #1 Thu Sep 2 12:30:18 CEST 2004 i686 GNU/Linux

Usb filesystem is mounted:

proc on /proc type proc (rw)
tmpfs on /dev/shm type tmpfs (rw)
none on /proc/bus/usb type usbfs (rw,devmode=0666)
(uninteresting items snipped)

Hotplug is started at boot time:

[00:33] root@dionysos:/var/log# /etc/init.d/hotplug restart
Restarting hotplug subsystem:   input
   input    [success]
   isapnp
   isapnp   [success]
   net
   net      [success]
   pci
   pci      [success]
   usb
   usb      [success]
   input
   input    [failed]
   isapnp
   isapnp   [success]
   net
   net      [success]
   pci
     radeonfb: ignore video modules: radeonfb
     ehci-hcd: loaded successfully
     usb-uhci: blacklisted
     emu10k1-gp: loaded successfully
     snd-emu10k1: loaded successfully
     emu10k1: blacklisted
   pci      [success]
   usb
     usbcore: blacklisted
modprobe: Can't locate module scanner,
   usb      [success]
.

I do not have hal, dbus, or udev installed.

--
Frank Van Damme