Re: Windows vs Linux Functionality?

Ron Johnson wrote:
On Tue, 2005-01-04 at 13:50 -0800, Chuk Goodin wrote:

On Sat, 25 Dec 2004 19:39:02 -0500, Roberto Sanchez

Downloading pictures from a digital camera is much easier than in
Windows.  To start with, there is no need to install extra software.
You simply plug in your camera and if it is recognized (by a program
like gPhoto), it will Just Work(TM) and you will be able to copy
directly to and from the camera just as though it were any other mass
storage device attached to your machine.

That's exactly how it works on my XP machine, actually.

It's especially easy in GNOME 2.8.  Don't know how easy/difficult
it is in KDE.

In GNOME, you must install gnome-volume-manager gnome-media & gthumb
((which will all pull in various other packages, like "hal" &
libgphoto2-2).

The, when you plug in the camera's USB cable and turn it on, if (gphoto+hotplug)?? can negotiate with it using PTP or usb-storage, a dialog box pops up asking if you want to import images off the camera.

I know nothing about digital cameras. My daughter suddenly shows up with one and I google for the brand (I forget it now) and the site shows only XP info, I tell her: no support for your camera.

Was I wrong? You mean I plug it in anyway and it might work?

H.