Re: Windows vs Linux Functionality?

On Tue, 2005-01-04 at 13:50 -0800, Chuk Goodin wrote:
> On Sat, 25 Dec 2004 19:39:02 -0500, Roberto Sanchez
>
> > Downloading pictures from a digital camera is much easier than in
> > Windows.  To start with, there is no need to install extra software.
> > You simply plug in your camera and if it is recognized (by a program
> > like gPhoto), it will Just Work(TM) and you will be able to copy
> > directly to and from the camera just as though it were any other mass
> > storage device attached to your machine.
>
> That's exactly how it works on my XP machine, actually.

It's especially easy in GNOME 2.8.  Don't know how easy/difficult
it is in KDE.

In GNOME, you must install gnome-volume-manager gnome-media & gthumb
((which will all pull in various other packages, like "hal" &
libgphoto2-2).

The, when you plug in the camera's USB cable and turn it on, if
(gphoto+hotplug)?? can negotiate with it using PTP or usb-storage,
a dialog box pops up asking if you want to import images off the
camera.

Ron Johnson, Jr.
Jefferson, LA USA

$ python -c 'print len(str(2**3000000))'
903090