Re: amanda troubles

On Mon, 2005-01-03 at 09:55 -0800, Jeremy T. Bouse wrote:

> 	First I would check that the 'backup' user is part of the 'tape'
> group.

ghe@noc:~$ grep tape /etc/group
tape:x:26:backup

> If not a permissions setting of 660 owned by root:tape would give
> exactly what you describe.

ghe@noc:~$ ls -l /dev/nst*
crw-rw----  1 root tape 9, 128 Jul 22 13:54 /dev/nst0
crw-rw----  1 root tape 9, 224 Jul 22 13:54 /dev/nst0a
crw-rw----  1 root tape 9, 160 Jul 22 13:54 /dev/nst0l
crw-rw----  1 root tape 9, 192 Jul 22 13:54 /dev/nst0m
crw-rw----  1 root tape 9, 129 Jul 22 13:54 /dev/nst1
crw-rw----  1 root tape 9, 225 Jul 22 13:54 /dev/nst1a
crw-rw----  1 root tape 9, 161 Jul 22 13:54 /dev/nst1l
crw-rw----  1 root tape 9, 193 Jul 22 13:54 /dev/nst1m

(there's a DAT and a DLT on this machine, both of which act identically)

Jeremy's crontab entry:

> 45  0 * * 2-6   /usr/sbin/amdump DailySet1

Mine (the script's a trivial wrapper for the command
   "/usr/sbin/amdump $1"
It works from CL and from cron on last month's (gentoo) system):

11 1 * * 1,3,6 /var/backups/amanda-scripts/amdump-script.sh sls

When the cron job runs:

*** A TAPE ERROR OCCURRED: [tape_rdlabel: tape open: /dev/nst0:
Permission denied].
Some dumps may have been left in the holding disk.
Run amflush again to flush them to tape.

>From the command line, all works fine.

I agree completely with everything Jeremy said. And as far as I can
tell, that's exactly what I'm doing. But it doesn't work. I know this is
going to be obvious, but I'm sure stumped right now...

--
Glenn English
ghe@slsware.com