amanda troubles

Amanda is installed and commands and scripts are working well from the
command line (I did have to add the sbins to backup's path to run the
amanda utilities).

But when I run a shell script as a cron job as user backup, access to
the tape drive is denied -- /dev/nst0 is root:tape, permissions are 660,
and backup is in the tape group.

If I put an "su - backup" in the script and run the job as root, I get
error message: "amdump must be run as user backup."

Is a command run as a cron job different from the same thing from the
command line? It looks like there might be a difference having to do
with real user / effective user.

Any suggestions? Know of a FM to read (man didn't help)?

TIA...

--
Glenn English
ghe@slsware.com