Re: aic7xxx won't load?

On Thu, Dec 30, 2004 at 04:16:30PM +0100, Didde Brockman wrote:

> After trying a stable install which of course could not find the
> drive(s) I resorted to the Debian Installer which has helped in the
> passed when I had to deal with hardware not supported by woody's boot
> disks. Sarge seems to have the necessary modules (aic7xxx etc.) but
> while it's "detecting hardware" it says that some of the modules failed
> to load ? more specifically the aic7xxx, which of course results in no
> disks being found either. I figured that I might be able to load it
> manually but insmod simply returns an error from which I can tell
> nothing... Just that it fails to load. This applies to both rc2 and the
> newer daily builds...

The driver in the kernel does not work and never will, Red Hat patches
their RHEL 3 U3 kernel for this card. No other linux works with these
cards. To install debian on this machine you will need to build a
custom install cd with a kernel that can see this card .. which is
quite a process.

> The hardware seems to be fine as I can install RH without a glitch and
> it runs well, so I'm starting to wonder if this module might be broken
> under sarge? Has this happened to anybody but me? I'd be very glad if
> someone could point me into the right direction on this one as I am now
> officially stuck...

Let me guess - RHEL 3 update 3?

> Might mention that I also tried running linux26 off the Debian
> Installer but with the same results...

For some reason the aic7xxx driver in the linux kernel tree is
ancient. If you download the source from adaptec, you get version
2.08. The version included with the kernel is like 1.3, even with
2.6. this doesn't appear to have changed at all from 2.4.18 or before,
which is a long time.  I don't know why this is, but you might ask the
drivers maintainer.

--