Re: Debian 64 bit on servers

On Sat, 1 Jan 2005 16:36:56 +0530, Siju George <sgeorge.ml@gmail.com> wrote:
> Hi all,
>
> I run Debian Woody 3.0r2 on a Pentium III machine now!!
>
> I would like to have a faster machine (a medium server but not any
> high end server) .
>
> So I would like to know the experience of others about installing
> 64-bit debian on an AMD 64-bit hardware or any other faster servers.
>
> Is 64-bit Debian as stable as 32-bit Debian?
>
> Thankyou so much

Using a normal Sarge install then installing this:
kernel-image-2.6.9-9-amd64-k8 - Linux kernel image for version 2.6.9
on AMD64 systems

has resulted in a very stable environment for myself.  Mind you, not
all applications are "64 bit" but most of them don't have to be.

Aside from a few enhancments (much like back in the day between
pentium and pentium-mmx cpu's) the 64 bit really only means (to me)
more memory and more bandwidth support.

--
Darryl
smartssa@gmail.com