Re: Debian 64 bit on servers

Hi Greg, Darryl and Ron,

Thankyou so much for the reply :)

On Sun, 2 Jan 2005 23:17:56 -0500, Darryl Clarke <smartssa@gmail.com> wrote:

> Using a normal Sarge install then installing this:
> kernel-image-2.6.9-9-amd64-k8 - Linux kernel image for version 2.6.9
> on AMD64 systems
>
> has resulted in a very stable environment for myself.  Mind you, not
> all applications are "64 bit" but most of them don't have to be.

So afterwards if I ap-get pargrams from the net will they aso be 64-bit?
Can 32-bit programs also run on it?

> Aside from a few enhancments (much like back in the day between
> pentium and pentium-mmx cpu's) the 64 bit really only means (to me)
> more memory and more bandwidth support.

So what would you suggest for me as a server? I run, apache, MySQL,
Postfix, Samba, NFS . Presently it is a Pentium III machine. I want a
bit more speed and would like to get a server hardware that is not too
costly.

Thankyou so much once again for the replys :))

Good lucK

Kind Regards

Siju