sarge install problem: read-only disk

Hi,

I'm working on an install, and I could use a bit of help/advice if anyone
can and is willing:

I'm doing a daily businesscard install (20041231). The installer finds DHCP
and runs perfectly up to the base system install and reboot.

At that point I choose packages (in this case, the default 'desktop'
packages) and download seems to run fine. However, when the packages begin
to unpack and install, I get an error that the disk is read-only.

Does anyone know what might be the cause, and how I could work around the
problem?

Thanks much,

Jon