Re: virtual interfaces

On Sat, Dec 04, 2004 at 11:07:08AM -0500, Antonio Rodriguez wrote:
> After
> 1. adding the needed paragraph to /etc/network/interfaces to reflect
> the virtual iface with 'anotherIP',
> 2. adding the corresponding file in /etc/apache2/sites-available,
> 3. creating the symlink in /etc/apache2/sites-enabled
> 4. stopping, starting, reloading again networking and apache2
> still can't get the added domain to respond. My question is: is there
> any other step that I am missing, or should I make the assumption that
> the 'anotherIP' is not pointing to my physical machine?

Did you type "ifconfig" to check that the IP alias is set up?
it should show up as eth0:1 or whatever number you gave it.

can you ping the new IP address from the machine running apache2?
what about from a different machine?

How are you testing if apache is listening?  try:

  telnet 1.2.3.4 80

from the machine that apache2 is running on,
where 1.2.3.4 is your new ip address.

If telnet doesn't connect at all,
apache2 isn't listening on that IP address at all.
Check that any "Listen" directive just says "Listen 80", not something like
"Listen 1.2.3.3:80":

  grep -r Listen /etc/apache2

If telnet does connect, type (in telnet):

GET http://new-virtual-hostname.net/ HTTP/1.0

and press enter twice.

If that returns the correct page, apache2 is set up properly.

Try it with a browser (e.g. lynx, elinks) from the server machine itself.

If that works, but it won't connect from a different machine, you have a
routing or DNS problem.

That's all I can think of, let me know if you've tried all this already, or if
it doesn't help.

Sam