Re: Can't get hal/udev/hotplug/whatever to mount usb flash card reader

On Sat, 2004-12-04 at 15:14 +0100, René Seindal wrote:
> Hi,
>
> I have tried just about everything, so I need some help.
>
> I have installed Gnome 2.8 from sid, including hal, udev, hotplug, ...
>
> I'd expect it to just mount my removable devices when I plug them in,
> and it does seem to work with cds, but not with anything usb.
>
> I plug in my usb card reader, and the kernel picks it up, and udev picks
> it up, but hal complains about missing events from hotplug and nothing
> is mounted.
>
> What do I have to do to get hotplug to find the devices, so I can have
> them automounted on a gnome 2.8 desktop.
>
> I need this for my WAF!
>
> I get this output when I plug in the card reader (date and hostname
> removed from syslog-lines):
>
> kernel: usb 1-1: new full speed USB device using address 12
> kernel: scsi7 : SCSI emulation for USB Mass Storage devices
[snip]
> kernel: usb 1-1: control timeout on ep0in
> last message repeated 7 times
> kernel: usb 1-1: control timeout on ep0in
> hald[10310]: Timed out waiting for hotplug event 486. Rebasing to 487
> hald[10310]: Timed out waiting for hotplug event 496. Rebasing to 486

Does it all work with udev removed?  I.e., can you mount a flash
card into a static device?

Ron Johnson, Jr.
Jefferson, LA USA

"You can't have a better tomorrow if you are thinking about
yesterday all the time."
Charles F Kettering