Re: Newbie Having Much Trouble Getting Deb 2.4.18-bf2.4 To Work

RE: Nathan Croy's suggestions:
#hostname=none
I have no hostname file in /etc, only host.conf, hosts.allow, hosts.deny and
host.canna.
I set hostname to Debian.  Exited and reentered.  Presto, Debian appeared in
prompt, but it wont stay.
Sourced /etc/profile.  Returned prompt.  Sourced ~/.profile. Returned no
such file or directory exists.
Cated /etc/init.d/hostname.sh..  Debian was there.  Still no hostname file
in /etc
Opened Gnome GUI and Mozzia email client with Debian at prompt, but email
still wont send and received,  Deleted my account and reentered it. Email
still wont receive mail evenwhen I know there is mail in the account.  If I
receive mail, it is from an active account I don't use because it's all
spam.  The account setup wizard doesn't work right.  Have to change all the
defaults.  If I get mail, its from lchata not lenc user name.
Gnome login gives message saying that it cannot something with Debian and
may not work right. Adding Debian to host file may solve problem.  I have no
host file(see above list).  I added Debian to host.allow using syntax shown
in the file. Exited and reentered Gnome.  Mozilla mail still wont work. It
say it is requesting mail and that there in none.  I know that's not the
case.  I imediately rebooted into windows outlook express and downloaded
over 100 discussion group files.

Do to a misunderstanding on another discussion group, i downloaded a bunch
of networking files.  I have a 3Com card, but no network, just the pci card.
I'm about to dselect the files, but would someone comment on this. I get the
Network setup popup on boot, tried and failed to setup and now just bypass
it.  My gut feeling is that the network stuff is at the heart of my problem.
It started after downloading the net files.
Looking for further insight.  Thanks all.
Len Chatagnier