Re: Microsoft Access

On Thursday 02 December 2004 3:14 pm, William Ballard wrote:
> On Thu, Dec 02, 2004 at 03:08:05PM -0800, Paul Johnson wrote:
> > I was wondering the same thing as I was driving around today.  Seems
> > like (from firsthand experience) a great way to lose a lot of data
if
> > the slightest thing goes wrong...
>
> You wouldn't use it for a 3-tiered or web app or anything like that.
> But for little < 10,000 record lists that also need relational
> integrity, a server process is overkill.  I manage my Video collection
> using my little Access workalike program.  Relational integrity is the
> main feature.

You falsely assume Access maintains relational integrity in the first
place, when in reality, Access is a daily cause of data loss every
place I've ever seen it used.

Access is working, quality software, but only if the goal is to cause
more data loss and aggrivation in a single workplace than all the worm
and virus attacks combined (my experience with Access at three
different companies, a government agency (Oregon Zoo), and a public
school district).  That being said, they threw the kid that wrote Code
Red in jail, let's do something about those Access bastards.

--
Paul Johnson
baloo@ursine.dyndns.org