Choppy sound when playing MP3s with arts

Hi,

'm using sarge with KDE 3.2.3.

MP3s sound dreadful when I play them through juk and artsplay, but sound fine when I play them through noatun or realplayer.

On the other hand, WAV files play fine in juk and artsplay, so I'm guessing I've got some sort of problem with the mp3 encoder.

All I did was download lame, built it and plunked the binary in /usr/local/bin. Is there additional magic required to make arts happy? arts seems so opaque . . .

/icebiker