Re: Help! Problems installing a new debian 3.0 woody

Katrien de Vos wrote:

Yesterday I received 4 CD's of Debian GNU/Linux 3.0 "Woody" for i386 [and have had all sorts of problems installing it]

Who can help me to proceed or do I have bad CD's?

No, you don't have "bad CD's"; you have "ancient CD's".

Woody, although still the official Debian release, is pretty much considered by most Debian users to be obsolete. The next version of Debian, Sarge, had a lot of hurdles to overcome, which explains the long release period. Sarge is almost out the door, and I'd highly recommend using it to install rather than Woody, especially for a desktop workstation (as opposed to a dedicated server).

If you want to stick with Woody:

1. Configuring PCMIA: I entered this list, marked the entry, but the system didn't react on pressing any key (in windows one would say it hanged. I found de Ctrl Alt Delete the only way out. So I skipped this part in the next installation..

I don't know. I was never able to get PCMCIA to work with Woody.

2. My network-interface card was not recognized. Trying to choose the Realtek RTL8139 from a list didn't help. I was asked for options, but I don't know what is needed. (I have a Sweex 32 bit; compatible to Realtek RTL8139 Family PCI Fast Ethernet NIC.

Run "lspci" and see what chipset is used for your NIC. That's more important than a model number.

5. During installing the system tell me it has a problem which is due to kernel . I have to remove the line '*(.text.exit)' in 'DISCARD' from arch/i386/vmlinux.lds. How I do this is a riddle and at this stage impossible.

Never heard of such a thing. I'm thinking Sarge is your solution here.

8  I tried the standard flavor and vanilla. It did not help.

Are both of these using the 2.2 kernel? I _think_ you can specify "bf24" to get a 2.4 kernel, which might help considerably.

--
Kent