Static IP Setup Problem in Sarge

I used jigdo-lite to get sarge-i386-1.iso (cd version), burnt the cd and
installed the Debian Base System on a new computer.  All went well
except I cannot connect to our LAN.  The DHCP setup says it has obtained
an IP address but the address is wrong and the gateway is wrong.

The other computers on the LAN and the firewall use static addresses so
I edited /etc/network/interfaces replacing

auto eth0
iface eth0 inet dhcp

with

auto eth0
iface eth0 inet static
	address 192.168.2.105
	netmask 255.255.255.0
	broadcast 192.168.2.255
	gateway 192.168.2.102

but ifup eth0 fails with a message about missing information.

Any ideas as to what is missing?

Tom George