Problems encountered while upgrading fr 'woody' to 'sarge'

I have upgraded from 'woody' with kernel-2.6.3 and KDE 3.1 to 'sarge' with
kernel-2.6.8 and KDE-3.2.3 using CD-ROM #1. It was not as easy as I had read
about.  Below are some problems and questions.

1.Cannot boot to gui. Xfree86.0.log with err msg: "mouse device not found". OK
after following the suggestion in doc in  /usr/share/doc to place mouse
modules in /etc/module.
Q. Why? This was not necessary in woody and 2.6.3.
Next, Cannot get into kde from login. Went into gnome instead.
    This was because I had chosen 'Default' for 'Session Type'.
Q. Why not make 'kde' the 'Default'?

2. Even though it appears to work fine, there are error and warning msgs in
syslog and kdm.log which I can't explain.
From syslog:
Dec 30 11:34:13 debian kernel: ReiserFS: hda3: warning: sh-2021:
reiserfs_fill_super: can not find reiserfs on hda3
Dec 30 11:34:13 debian kernel: ext3: No journal on filesystem on hda3

Dec 30 11:34:26 debian kdm_greet[877]: Can't open default user face

From kdm.log:
Skipping "/usr/X11R6/lib/modules/fonts/libspeedo.a:spencode.o":  No symbols
found

kdecore (KIconLoader): WARNING: Icon directory /usr/share/icons/Default/ group
192x192/emblems not valid.
NB: there are many more of the kdecore errors for different groups of NxN.
Upon inspection, I found that the emblem dirs are all empty.

Q. a. I had selected Reisef FileSystem in the kernel-config. No such problem
in 2.6.3.
     b. Do I have to worry about the libspeedo font?
     c. KDE seems to be working fine. Am I missing something with those
kde_greet and kdecore messages?

3. There is no lib/modules/2.6.8/build directory in 2.6.8. As a result, I
cannot rebuilt some of my applications.
Q. Is this because the kernel is not built from source? 2.6.8 was installed
from image from the CD-ROM.

4. The 'Find Files' utility seem to work only in /root dir. When I changed
to /, it went into an infinite loop. Moreover, there is no indication of any
kind when it is in action.
Q. Is this a known bug?

5. From Desktop, I set up my CD-RW as follows.
 Right-click->Create New-> Device->CDWRITER Device, leave Permission as
default which is 'read-and-write' and key in device name '/dev/hdc'. Next add
in a line in /etc/fstab. In this line, whether I include the rw option or
leave it out, which would default to read-write, I just cannot mount the
device for read-write. After mounting, a pop-up window read: mount:
block /device /dev/hdc is write-protected, mounting read-only.
Q. How to solve this?

Unmounting the device has its own problem. After unmounting from Desktop menu,
The medium cannot be ejected manually. I have to go through Actions->Eject
from the Desktop. This in turn pop-up an err msg which read:
"Eject /dev/hdc failed.
Couldn't find the program 'kdeeject %v"
Q. Is this a bug?

Q. How do I prepare a new CD-RW medium for use?

6. Cannot set up printer.
Desktop->Settings->Printing Manager or Desktop->Settings->Control
Center->Peripherals->Printer gave the following err msg.
"..error loading kdeprint_lpd.
Library files for 'kdeprint-lpd.la' not found in paths."
Q. Am I missing out on some Debian packages?

7. All the HOWTO files are .gz but there is only zcat to read them. Even using
zcat|more allowes only one-way scrolling. Is there an editor which can open
a .gz file ?

HAPPY NEW YEAR!
jianan