Re: Problems encountered while upgrading fr 'woody' to 'sarge'

jianan wrote:

I have upgraded from 'woody' with kernel-2.6.3 and KDE 3.1 to 'sarge' with kernel-2.6.8 and KDE-3.2.3 using CD-ROM #1. It was not as easy as I had read about. Below are some problems and questions.

Wow, you have a lot of problems. Unfortunately, I can't provide much info for helping.

1.Cannot boot to gui. Xfree86.0.log with err msg: "mouse device not found". OK after following the suggestion in doc in /usr/share/doc to place mouse modules in /etc/module.
Q. Why? This was not necessary in woody and 2.6.3.
I believe this is a result of upgrading the kernel, not upgrading from Woody to Sarge. The way I understand things, you've basically done two upgrades; you've upgraded your kernel, and you've upgraded your distro. I believe it's the kernel upgrade that has caused most of your grief, not the distro upgrade.

Next, Cannot get into kde from login. Went into gnome instead.
This was because I had chosen 'Default' for 'Session Type'. Q. Why not make 'kde' the 'Default'?

From this and other errors (below), I'm wondering if your upgrade failed to complete. Did you add the Sarge CD to your /etc/apt/sources.list, then do an "apt-get update" followed by an "apt-get dist-upgrade"? Perhaps you only did an "apt-get upgrade" rather than a "dist-upgrade"? Perhaps it asked for files on a different CD and you ignored the errors thinking they weren't important? etc.

2. Even though it appears to work fine, there are error and warning msgs in syslog and kdm.log which I can't explain. From syslog: Dec 30 11:34:13 debian kernel: ReiserFS: hda3: warning: sh-2021: reiserfs_fill_super: can not find reiserfs on hda3
Dec 30 11:34:13 debian kernel: ext3: No journal on filesystem on hda3

This sounds like your /etc/fstab is referring to ext3 and ReiserFS partitions, which you do not have. Perhaps you had these same errors before the upgrade and never noticed them? It's particularly odd that both fs types are referring to the same partition (hda3). Like you, I can not explain these errors.

Dec 30 11:34:26 debian kdm_greet[877]: Can't open default user face

From kdm.log:
Skipping "/usr/X11R6/lib/modules/fonts/libspeedo.a:spencode.o": No symbols found

kdecore (KIconLoader): WARNING: Icon directory /usr/share/icons/Default/ group 192x192/emblems not valid. NB: there are many more of the kdecore errors for different groups of NxN. Upon inspection, I found that the emblem dirs are all empty.

Q. a. I had selected Reisef FileSystem in the kernel-config. No such problem in 2.6.3.
    b. Do I have to worry about the libspeedo font?
c. KDE seems to be working fine. Am I missing something with those kde_greet and kdecore messages?

See above. Incomplete upgrade?

3. There is no lib/modules/2.6.8/build directory in 2.6.8. As a result, I cannot rebuilt some of my applications. Q. Is this because the kernel is not built from source? 2.6.8 was installed from image from the CD-ROM.

Probably so. I do not have a build directory on my system, which has a binary kernel rather than a rolled one.

4. The 'Find Files' utility seem to work only in /root dir. When I changed to /, it went into an infinite loop. Moreover, there is no indication of any kind when it is in action.
Q. Is this a known bug?
I'm unfamiliar with this "Find Files" utility; is this some GUI app in Gnome or similar?

5. From Desktop, I set up my CD-RW as follows.
Right-click->Create New-> Device->CDWRITER Device, leave Permission as default which is 'read-and-write' and key in device name '/dev/hdc'. Next add in a line in /etc/fstab. In this line, whether I include the rw option or leave it out, which would default to read-write, I just cannot mount the device for read-write. After mounting, a pop-up window read: mount: block /device /dev/hdc is write-protected, mounting read-only.
Q. How to solve this?
I never try setting permissions from a GUI; CLI works for me more reliably. (In addition, I'm assuming this is Gnome, from what you said above, but you have not made that explicitly clear.)

CDs will be mounted as read-only; that's their nature. Permissions on the device file will not affect this. What you're seeing is perfectly normal for mounting a CD.

Unmounting the device has its own problem. After unmounting from Desktop menu, The medium cannot be ejected manually. I have to go through Actions->Eject from the Desktop. This in turn pop-up an err msg which read:
"Eject /dev/hdc failed.
Couldn't find the program 'kdeeject %v"
Q. Is this a bug?
Well now I'm suspecting you're using KDE instead of Gnome. At any rate, again, I suspect an incomplete upgrade.

Having said that, I've noticed in KDE the last few months that ejecting a CDROM is difficult; at first I thought famd was holding on to it, but since then I've heard otherwise (but I don't remember the culprit). I don't mess with CDs enough for it to really be an issue for me, so I don't have a solution. Sorry.

Q. How do I prepare a new CD-RW medium for use?
You just stick it in, and fire up a suitable writing program, such as eRoaster or cdrecord, etc. Again, I don't burn enough CDs to know what works best. I do know that normal users don't usually have the correct permissions to burn CDs, so you'll have to work around that. I usually just use "sudo".

6. Cannot set up printer.
Desktop->Settings->Printing Manager or Desktop->Settings->Control Center->Peripherals->Printer gave the following err msg.
"..error loading kdeprint_lpd.
Library files for 'kdeprint-lpd.la' not found in paths."
Q. Am I missing out on some Debian packages?
I can't set up a printer either. Neither can Eric Raymond. But a lot of folks can, so maybe they can help on this one. But the missing files indicate to me, once again, that you have an incomplete upgrade.

7. All the HOWTO files are .gz but there is only zcat to read them. Even using zcat|more allowes only one-way scrolling. Is there an editor which can open a .gz file ?
I use "zless".