Re: Using killfiles

On Wed, 29 Dec 2004 21:01:07 +0000
Sue Spence <sue@pennine.com> wrote:

> Paul Johnson wrote:
> > On Tuesday 28 December 2004 03:32 pm, John Hasler wrote:
> >
> >>Please stop changing the subject of this thread.  It makes it hard
> >to >keep it killfiled.
> >

> > Filter smarter, not harder.  Most email filters out there these days
> >
> > have the concept of threads.  If you use procmail, check out the
> > message IDs compared to References or In-Reply-To headers.  Subject
> > lines aren't supposed to keep track of thread, that's what
> > In-Reply-To is for.
> >

> List subscribers shouldn't have to clean religious/political flamebait
>
> (& flames) from the messages they receive. To have to do this means
> that there are people on the list who are perfectly prepared to send
> out messages containing content that is essentially equivalent to the
> lowest-common-denominator advertisements for drugs, porn, phishing
> scams, hot stock tips, whatever.  Putting "OT", "Off Topic", "Way off
> topic" etc. in the subject title doesn't even begin to justify that
> kind of poor listizenship.

Thank you for helping to make my point.

Filtering is fine. But there are often (usually?) changes of topic, new
threads started, etc from the original off-topic threads. Many of those
will require new filtering.

It's easier to filter the ones that start these things and be rid of
them for the next time(s) they decide to start threads that pertain to
their own agendas. But that filtering still shouldn't be shouldered by
people who want to deal with what is ostensibly the purpose of a
particular mailing list.

I start with killing a few individuals. But when it becomes too many to
make it worthwhile, I find I'd rather unsubscribe and move along. Sooner
or later I can usually find something more suitable.

Anyone thinking that I propose imposing my will on anyone needs to look
in a mirror. Your own religious/political OT stuff is the imposition on
those of us wanting to deal with linux/Debian/derivatives, not the other
way around. I'm simply asking that you stop. If you don't I'll leave and
you can go on with your own unrelated items that are guaranteed to
alienate more and more people, and you'll eventually be left to your own
little clique of like-minded me-too-ers. In the end I haven't tried, nor
have I succeeded, in making anyone do anything. Nor will anyone else
that doesn't stick around.

To those who are offering advice, both public and private, on my free
exercise of filtering, thank you for your efforts. But I already know
how to use them, when I feel it's necessary to use them, on whom or what
I'll use them and so on.

--
"One world, one web, one program"  -- Microsoft promotional ad
"Ein Volk, ein Reich, ein Fuehrer"  -- Adolf Hitler