Re: bootsplash + debian Sid kernel 2.6.9 (initrd problem?)

On Wed, 2004-12-29 at 02:45 +0100, Gael wrote:
> Hi,
>
> I have a debian-kernel 2.6.9 and I try to use bootsplash. The
> framebuffer is ok (vesafb 1024x768x16). Bootsplash works
> anytime but at boot-time (each console has a picture and the
> first console has an animation at shutdown-time.). However
> there's nothing during the boot on the first console.
> Here's what I've done:
> 	- patched the kernel with bootsplash patch
> 	- xconfig (no logo, bootsplash, vesa module, initrd)
> 	- dpkg -i ...
> 	- apt-get install bootsplash sys-rc-bootsplash
>
> I've tried different ways to include the picture in the initrd.
> Either with dpkg-reconfigure or with mkinitrd + splash -s -f
> /etc/bootsplash... >> /boot/initrd... didn't work.
> I think that the picture is appended to the initrd but isn't
> read, the system seems to ignore what is appended. In particular
> the size of the initrd given buy dmesg isn't changed when the
> picture is appended.
> The important point is that after the framebuffer is activated, the
> system doesn't look for a picure. Here's mydmesg:

<snip>

> The important point seems to me to be that the initrd isn't read
> entirely:
> -rw-r--r--   1 root root 1512630 2004-12-28 13:05 initrd.splash
>
> So the size of initrd.splash is ~1477 while what is read is:
>  > RAMDISK: Loading 1444KiB [1 disk] into ram disk... done.

I had the exact same problem. If vesafb was compiled as a module, I got
a blank screen. If it was compiled statically, I got garbage. From my
googling the stiuation, it appears that there is a bug in the vesafb.c
code in the Debian package.

As suggested by even further googling, I replaced the Debian vesafb.c in
kernel-source-2.6.9/drivers/video with the one from the vanilla 2.6.9
kernel. Compiled it statically. I have bootsplash. :)

Hope that helps.