Re: bootsplash + debian Sid kernel 2.6.9 (initrd problem?)

Brian Pack wrote:

On Wed, 2004-12-29 at 02:45 +0100, Gael wrote:
Hi,

I have a debian-kernel 2.6.9 and I try to use bootsplash. The
framebuffer is ok (vesafb 1024x768x16). Bootsplash works
anytime but at boot-time (each console has a picture and the
first console has an animation at shutdown-time.). However
there's nothing during the boot on the first console.
Here's what I've done:
	- patched the kernel with bootsplash patch
	- xconfig (no logo, bootsplash, vesa module, initrd)
	- dpkg -i ...
	- apt-get install bootsplash sys-rc-bootsplash

I've tried different ways to include the picture in the initrd.
Either with dpkg-reconfigure or with mkinitrd + splash -s -f
/etc/bootsplash... >> /boot/initrd... didn't work.
I think that the picture is appended to the initrd but isn't
read, the system seems to ignore what is appended. In particular
the size of the initrd given buy dmesg isn't changed when the
picture is appended.
The important point is that after the framebuffer is activated, the
system doesn't look for a picure. Here's mydmesg:

<snip>

The important point seems to me to be that the initrd isn't read
entirely:
-rw-r--r--   1 root root 1512630 2004-12-28 13:05 initrd.splash

So the size of initrd.splash is ~1477 while what is read is:
> RAMDISK: Loading 1444KiB [1 disk] into ram disk... done.

I had the exact same problem. If vesafb was compiled as a module, I got
a blank screen. If it was compiled statically, I got garbage. From my
googling the stiuation, it appears that there is a bug in the vesafb.c
code in the Debian package.

As suggested by even further googling, I replaced the Debian vesafb.c in
kernel-source-2.6.9/drivers/video with the one from the vanilla 2.6.9
kernel. Compiled it statically. I have bootsplash. :)

Hope that helps.

Thanks a lot. After copying the vanilla vesafb.c and recompiling the kernel with
vesafb static the picture appears at boot-time too.