Re: ot, changing screen numbers

On Tue, 21 Dec 2004 08:04:54 +0800, "Robert Vangel" <vangelr@rfgt.net>
said:

[...]

> So now we have:
>
> 0. bash
> 1. irssi
> 2. centericq
> 3. bash
> 4. irssi
>
> If I close screen 3, is there a way for me to renumber screen 4 back to
> 3 (so that if I open another screen, the NEW one will be 4, rather than
> filling the gap 3 left).

sure..

Ctrl-A 4             switch to window #4
Ctrl-A :             gives you a ":" prompt - bottom left corner of
screen
number 3 + <enter>   at the ":" prompt.. renumbers the current window to
3

> On another note (similar topic), is there a way to reorder the screens,
> so from the above example I could make them:
>
> 0. bash
> 1. bash
> 2. irssi
> 3. irssi
> 4. centericq

I guess you could do it on the fly using the above technique..

Or, if you use the same applications every time you start a screen
session you could add a bunch of "screen -t title n cmd" to your
~/.screenrc (where "title" is the window's title.. "n" its number,
and "cmd" the command used to launch each application" and possibly
add a few placeholders in the form of bash shells ready to launch an
extra incarnation of irssi, icp, lynx.. whatever.

> I don't know why (but some people may agree), but I have always liked
> similar sessions grouped together, just makes stuff easier to use (and
> easier to remember what screen is doing what).
>
> I have been looking through archives of lists, but keywords such as
> 'screen' and 'change' aren't terribly specific.

Yeah.. In this particular case (as always?) the place to look was the f-
laming manual.. man page, I mean..

Cheers,

cga
--