Re: Correct syntax for mkinitrd command?

Andrew,
I believe if you compile the kernel "the debian way" as they like to say on this list. your job is a lot easier.

after configuring your kernel instead of make bzimage, do
make-kpg --initrd -rev 1 kernel_image

*Note you need to have the appropriate packages installed.
then

cd ..
dpkg -i <package name>

this will install the kernel for you and add appropriate entries in lilo or grub.

Paul

Andrew Konosky wrote:

I am trying to compile a vanilla 2.6.9 kernel and I have configured it and compiled it, but the mkinitrd syntax is different from the one I am used to in Fedora. My kernel modules are in /lib/modules/2.6.9custom and I want to create an initrd image in /boot/initrd-2.6.9_custom.img.

I ran this and it created an initrd image, but when I boot I get a kernel panic because the root f/s cannot be mounted:

#: mkinitrd -k -o /boot/initrd-2.6.9_custom.img -r /dev/hda4 2.6.9custom

What is the correct syntax for the command then?

Also, I use an ext2 root partition and have that compiled as built-in instead of a module, but which device drivers do I need to compile built-in so I don't need an initrd image? Just IDE, or do I need northbridge, southbridge, PCI & USB controllers, etc...?