Re: Correct syntax for mkinitrd command?

If "the debian way" isn't your preferred cup of tea (so you can also use
it for future systems which may not be debian..)

I have always used what was in the original email [mkinitrd -k -o
/boot/initrd-2.6.9_custom.img -r /dev/hda4 2.6.9custom]

And I compile the root fs (actually, I do all fs's but meh) and ide, pci.

Just so nothing gets left out, the actual .config parts are...

CONFIG_IDE
CONFIG_BLK_DEV_IDE
CONFIG_BLK_DEV_IDEDISK
CONFIG_BLK_DEV_IDEPCI
CONFIG_IDEPCI_SHARE_ICQ (optional)
CONFIG_BLK_DEV_IDEDMA_PCI
CONFIG_IDEDMA_PCI_AUTO
CONFIG_BLK_DEV_PIIX [chipset]

That's everything from "Device Drivers -> ATA/ATAPI/MFM/RLL support"

 From "Bus options (PCI, PCMCIA, EISA, MCA, ISA)" I only have

CONFIG_PCI
and
CONFIG_PCI_NAMES

There is probably other things which this is dependant on and I have
forgotten, more than likely because it's just force of habit to compile
in and I don't actually know...

Paul Tsai wrote:
Andrew,
I believe if you compile the kernel "the debian way" as they like to say on this list. your job is a lot easier.

after configuring your kernel instead of make bzimage, do
make-kpg --initrd -rev 1 kernel_image

*Note you need to have the appropriate packages installed.
then

cd ..
dpkg -i <package name>

this will install the kernel for you and add appropriate entries in lilo or grub.

Paul