nfs.statd bind to internal interface only

I'm trying to remove all of the servers listening on my external interface after upgrading my firewall from woody to sarge. The last one is rpc.statd AFAIK it is started and stopped from /etc/init.d/nfs-common. There is an environment variable called $STATDOPTS and I can't find where it is defined.

Also in other situations like this I have tried inserting switches into the variable to bind to an interfave but it comes up with an error for example: nfs-common:line 16: ns.lefty: Command not found

That was me trying to define the variable $STATDOPTS with the line:
STATDOPTS=-h ns.lefty     # The domain name is correct within my lan.

Any help or pointers appreciated.

Adrian