Re: Linux Functionality?

On Monday 27 December 2004 01:15 pm, Eugen Leitl wrote:

> By mainstream I understand high two-digit percentile. OS X is
> completely niche with its 2-3% penetration. Debian doesn't exist as
> far as market volume is concerned.

Maybe in your area, but the local trade rags put Windows only around 60%
of local desktops, with Linux making up much of the difference (and
Debian the majority of the Linux segment).  I can walk across the
US-30/I-84 freeway to WalMart and ask the kid in the electronics
section to point out Linux-native games and get a real answer, even.
Debian has achieved mainstream status in some parts of the world.

> It's good that currently people choose a good distribution, but it's
> the fringe de la fringe, really. A Linux distribution of the future,
> to achieve 20-30% market penetration is going to be much worse,
> unfortunately.

Actual market forces in play seem to indicate otherwise.

--
Paul Johnson
baloo@ursine.dyndns.org