Re: Linux Functionality?

On Mon, Dec 27, 2004 at 12:49:08PM -0800, Paul Johnson wrote:

> > Most people run shit. Usability and security are mutually exclusive,
> > as far as mainstream is concerned.
>
> Well, look who they've been trained by.

Out of a population of available systems at the time the Redmond one was
selected, and further shaped by collective demand. Architecture and hence
security were completely selection-neutral at the time.

> Having had to mark down Linspire over and over and over and over until
> it finally started selling versus stamping out Debian CDs for customers
> who request them tells another story.  Debian sells, Linspire does not.

By mainstream I understand high two-digit percentile. OS X is completely
niche with its 2-3% penetration. Debian doesn't exist as far as market volume
is concerned.

It's good that currently people choose a good distribution, but it's the fringe de la
fringe, really. A Linux distribution of the future, to achieve 20-30% market
penetration is going to be much worse, unfortunately.

--
Eugen* Leitl <a href="http://leitl.org";>leitl</a>