Re: exim4 doesn't connect to smarthost

I just struggled with this for a few hours, found and solved the problem, and thought I'd post a response to explain what (I think) is going on in your situation.

Exim (at least, exim4) in its infinite wisdom, caches transport "hints" in its retry and wait_transport databases. When my smarthost went down for a decently long period of time, my exim installation cached that information and didn't even bother checking to see if it was up, which is why you see no connections using tcpdump.

The solution: Exim comes with three utilities for managing the hints caches, called exim_dumpdb, exim_tidydb, and exim_fixdb. The exim_dumpdb program displays the contents of the cache, exim_tidydb removes old entries, and exim_fixdb recovers corrupt caches. Check the man page for more info. The one you'll need is most likely exim_tidydb, to remove the out-of-date entries. I ran it with an argument of one second, to effectively remove all of them (they'll be recreated on demand). After that, everything magically started working.

Cheers!
-robin