Re: Debian sarge and production servers is it ready on 12/26/2004?

On Monday 27 December 2004 12:32 am, Roberto Sanchez wrote:
> I think the issue is that packages are not directly uploaded to testing.
> So it is possible to have version X of package A installed in testing.
> If a serious or grave bug is filed, the package simply will not make it
> into testing.  Likewise, if the package fails to build for *any* of
> the supported Debian architectures, it will not go into testing (unless
> it as architecture specific package, like a kernel).  You could
> potentially be running insecure software for an indefinite period of
> time.
> team.  Thus, updates will be made as quickly as feasible.  You simply do
> not have this guarantee with unstable or testing (except when testing
> gets security team support in preparation for release).
>
> HTH,
>
> -Roberto

Thank you so much Roberto for you  clarification of the process. I wonder,  as
we get closer and closer to a sarge release, will using Sarge become less
risky? I see for instance that Stanford University has begun using some
debian sarge servers (1). Will there be major structual revisions before
sarge release, or are we getting more and more settled structurally?
Mitchell
(1) http://www.eyrie.org/~eagle/writing/debian-server.html