Re: ACPI Problems

Ryan wrote:
> Sure, but the logic I use is simple:  If I'm not willing to blow away
> the box then I'm not going to try to install something I know nothing
> about.  Since I need to be productive, without any downtime, (it's my
> primary box) I need to ensure I can recover from whatever may happen.

Ah, of course. You need another hard drive (or computer!) to experiment
with.

>> Try the Debian 2.6.8/9 kernel. I'm fairly certain the ACPI works but
>> also has the ALSA sound drivers that seem to be the default and may
>> not work for you.
>>
> That's where I've been having the problems.  They begin with
> 2.6.9-1.6_FC2 while I'm on FC2.  I'm not sure what kernel FC3 brings
> with it, but the same problems are there [so I assume it is 2.6.9].

I'm using ACPI for checking the battery in my laptop. Seems to work OK but
it's flakey, doesn't seem to update very well (an alert at 25 minutes will
say 10 minutes, etc). I was unable to find a Debian kernel that worked on
all the hardware on the laptop, so went to kernel.org for the source code.
Really isn't that difficult, read the README and any complaints the build
might make. The 2.6 kernels contain targets for building RPM and DEB
packages, something new.

$ make help
<....>
Kernel packaging:
  rpm-pkg     - Build the kernel as an RPM package
  binrpm-pkg  - Build an rpm package containing the compiled kernel & modules
  deb-pkg     - Build the kernel as an deb package